S:3 EP: 7 How To Persevere with Positivity as A Woman in Construction with Kate Rieling
In this episode of the She Who Dares Wins podcast, I speak with Kate Rieling, a construction project manager for a civil site contractor in Georgia. She got interested in construction young and even studied construction management in college.
She shares how a career in construction fits her personality, plus how she gained experience through internships before joining the job market. She explains how she built a community of women doing different things in construction on Instagram.
Listen in to learn how to be positive and confident to establish your position as a woman working in a man’s world.
Listen now: https://anchor.fm/shewhodareswins
View on our Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCADDdf-5TgSb3VZJ6XcSAWg
- How to be prepared for the job market by taking internships to gain experience.
- The issues that influence women away from the construction industry.
- How to get past your struggles in the industry by persevering and being part of the change.
- [0:49] Kate on how she was drawn into the construction world, plus how she prepared to transition from school to work.
- [5:46] She describes the different fields that were included in her construction management degree.
- [7:17] She explains why she enjoys proving herself working in a man’s world.
- [13:39] How she handles when things get challenging when working with her male counterparts.
- [15:43] How she created a community of women doing different things in the construction world.
- [20:50] The importance of having the conversation about the struggles of women in construction.
- [25:43] Learning to be the change you want plus asking for the support you need.
- [28:32] Kate on where she sees herself career-wise in the future.
- [30:21] Why you should go for a career in construction as a woman if that’s your passion.
- “Nobody is ever going to have the same experience as you…I had to stop looking for that because it doesn’t exist.”- Kate [16:32]
- “There’s a certain amount of perseverance that you have to have, you can’t just jump companies because you don’t like one thing.”- Kate [25:44]
- “If you don’t experience the struggle, you are never going to get past it.”- Kate [27:32]
Check us out on Instagram @shewhodareswins_
https://www.shewhodareswins.com/ For more great stories and Merch!
Find Kate on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/katebuildsit/